March 20, 2015

El Misti, Arequipa's signature volcano, not terribly tall, but still a challenge people love to take.


This trip to Arequipa began on February 3, 2015, with a flight delayed by fog. I wondered what to do if it  made me miss all the other flights, but the fog lifted just in time. The rest of the trip was uneventful, and the day ended with a good snooze at Mami Panchita, a Dutch-Peruvian hostel.

The next day I wrapped up the large duffel bag and sent it to Arequipa by bus, and the went to meet Carmen Inugay at a restaurant. Carmen works with Korean-American missions, and she is a  very busy lady. Then, because Adela, our housemother, wanted a decent mixer, I went to Hiraoka and looked them over, left and consulted with Humberto, grabbed a taxi, went back and bought it, and then to the airport for a 7:00pm flight to Arequipa. Adela was ecstatic.

The kids were at a church at the beach in Camana, so house was a little empty, but the next day, Humberto, Victor, Adela, and Salomon, a young man who was to care for Victor, went down the hill to the camp. "Down the hill" means a 2 1/2 hour trip on a 2-lane highway, very curvy, with lots of traffic, buses, heavy trucks, impatient drivers, etc., and diesel is the preferred fuel, so getting into a line of cars that can't pass can be a very smelly thing.

The next day, Friday we went to the beach, a few blocks away from the campground. Salomon managed to get Victor's wheelchair right up to the water's edge. It was the first time Victor had ever been to the ocean, and he was thrilled. We took his shoes off so he could feel the water and his feet got a bit sunburned, but it was small price to pay.

The kids had a blast. Renel came on Saturday and enjoyed the water. A bit cold, but great in the summer.


Melania, the girl who had had a kidney transplant the year before, enjoyed her first trip to beach as well.

There were lots of activities for the kids: the church staff got very big workout this time.

Sunday night the kids came in, tired and happy. It was also Rut's birthday, but the celebration had to be put off for that day.

Humberto, Victor, and Salomon had head table honors.

Kids are trying on clothes brought from the states. Most were too big, but some were set aside for the cook and the grandfathers.

Breakfast and devotions, Bible reading and prayer.

Our elderly are blind, so they help each other leave the dining room.


They had a few requests for me--new shoes, more food, and to walk outside.

Here they are getting new shoes. More food was a given. The kids are very good about taking them for walks.

Here they are getting new shoes. More food was a given. The kids are very good about taking them for walks.

Adela is braiding Doña Juanita's hair.

Don Felipe likes to do dishes and to feel useful.

This box came from Faith comes by hearing, free to me when they knew why I wanted it. It plays the New Testament in Quechua for our blind people, and they love it.

Our cook, Hermana Eulalia, is making tamales from fresh corn. Yum!

Renel and victor. Renel was one of our first boys, and after time, he told us he wanted to serve as Victor's caregiver. He is a real blessing

First day of school. They go to John Wesley, different school, but same location where I attended as a kid.

Melania and Noella go to an alternative school.

We learned that a blocked drain was causing our water to go into a neighbor's walls, so we had to rip up the patio, and put in new pipe. When her walls dry out a bit, we will have to go and repair the damage.

Pedro used to be our psychologist, but now he is the director of an Anglican children's home. He continues to be our good friend.

Milena was a volunteer with us for a year. From time to time she comes back. Here she is helping Cesar make popcorn.

Adela and I made a blanket, using an old sheet I brought from home. We bought "polar," a very light warm fabric. It's cuddly, just what you need in that cold climate.

Our house in Clhiguata, empty now. We are waiting to see if it will rent, and give us some income. Humberto and Rosalia are in the picture.

Pastor Jorge Tito took time out from driving taxi to play guitar and give a Bible study. He was the first one to rescue Adela and her children about 10 years ago.

We had many things to do this time in Arequipa, but it seemed about impossible to get them all done. We wanted to prepare for the visit of some volunteers, plan some more construction, arrange for better storage in a house that has one closet (for tools), smooth out some personnel problems, and so on, but it didn't work out for everything.


Cesar did attend vacation Bible school, and Esther and Rut helped as volunteers. They had few swimming lessons, and made a stab at  leaning English, and we played a lot of SkipBo.


There you have a peek into the life of Abrigo Andino, and Wawa Wasi Foundation.


All the best.


Sharron Hall

View more past events:

Click here for 2014 year end letter

Click here for 2015 Christmas Letter

© 2009-2017 | Wawa Wasi Foundation | P.O. Box 120937 | Chula Vista, CA 91912